top of page
  • Writer's pictureLAWGIC STRATUM

A legal guide on Tourism in India

Author: Suryansh Govind


India is popular for its tourist hotspots and pulls in a lot of sightseers from across the world who come to see India and every one of the wondrous attractions. Fortunately getting a tourist visa isn't too troublesome. The awful news is the apparently perpetual torrent of lawful conventions to consent to. The befuddling nature of the Indian Legal System doesn't actually help either.


Nearly all that an outsider has to know in terms of compliance is based on the below-mentioned Acts-

1. Passport (Entry into India) Act of 1920

2. Registration of Foreigners Act of 1939

3. The Foreigners Act of 1946

While you don't really need to read these ambiguous laws, you need to focus on a couple of obligatory customs. They are-

1. The Foreigner's Registration Office

The Foreigner Regional Registration Office (FRRO) is the most dreaded institution according to travelers. The explanations behind this fear range from the number of reports and structures that are expected to the verifiable interest for "Speed Money" to really move things along. Sadly, The Foreigner's Registration is the method each outside public going into India totally should go through. The uplifting news here is that as an outside public, you can enroll yourself in the air terminal itself.

Most far-off nationals should enroll themselves inside 14 days of appearance into India. An exemption for this is Pakistani nationals who should enroll themselves within 24 hours of arriving in India. All Afghan nationals are needed to enlist with the FRRO/FRO worried inside 14 days of appearance aside from those Afghan nationals who enter India on a visa legitimate for 30 days or less. This exception depends on the stipulation that the Afghan public concerned gives his/her residential location India to the Indian Mission/FRRO/FRO. The Afghan nationals who are given visas with an 'Exclusion from the police detailing' are excluded from Police revealing and are not needed to acquire Exit consent, if they leave inside the Visa legitimacy period.

If the visa of the foreign national has special endorsement such as “REGISTRATION NOT REQUIRED IF EACH STAY DOES NOT EXCEED 180 DAYS” then they are exempted from registration at the FRRO.

2. Protocols of staying in a hotel.

Rule 14 of Registration of Foreigners Rules requires hotel supervisors to follow a few protocols. A register should be maintained by the administration. As a foreign tourist, you will likewise require duplicates of Form C and Form F from Registration of Foreigners Rules, 1932. You can get them from any Foreigners Registration Office or online.

As indicated by Rule 14, each hotelmanager needs to take down the name, ethnicity (nationality),and signature (or thumb impression by which the foreigner is accustomed to attest a document) on the arrival of a foreign national.


There are some native territories in India that are ensured/restricted for security reasons. In the event that you need to head out to these spaces, you need a restricted/protected region grant. Some of these areas are not tourist attractions (for instance, a military exploration office).

A foreign national isn't permitted to visit the foreign national regions until and except if the Government is satisfied with the ‘extraordinary reason to visit such regions.

Some of these protected/restricted areas include parts of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Mizoram, Sikkim, Jammu and Kashmir, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, etc.

The Foreigner (Protected Areas) Act requires foreign tourists to acquire a Protected Area Permit (PAP) to visit certain zones in India. This is a necessity along with getting an Indian visa. To get this license, you should meet certain prerequisites. Such limitation is set up because of safety reasons.

Indeed, even Indian residents who are not occupants of those spaces require an Inner Line Permit (ILP) to enter these spots. The Inner Line Permit is altogether simpler to get. Be that as it may, NRIs (Indians who are remaining abroad for over a half year), and OCI holders are not qualified for Inner Line Permit. They should apply for a customary Protected/Restricted Area Permit.

An application has to be prepared to get the restricted region license with the concerned authority. On the off chance that the forces have been designated to such authority by the Government of India, at that point endorsement for such consent ought to be shipped off the Ministry of Home Affairs, in any event, two months before the normal visit for additional endorsement.

Authorization ought not to be given to the nationals of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Foreign Nationals of Pakistani source and China without the assent and endorsement of the Ministry of Home Affairs.

Nonetheless, the vast majority of these spaces are distant and away from ordinary tourist destinations. A few travelers(mainly sightseers) actually visit limited territories since they are wonderful and enthralling far-flung places.

The Protected/Restricted Areas are not really risky to foreign tourists. Notwithstanding, there might be different pieces of India that might be perilous to them, despite the fact that no special permit might be needed to visit those zones.


39 views2 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page